Kalamadoodle Characters is a monthly series that introduces an attendee to the greater Kalamazoo community. Through these quick, bullet-point style interviews, we hope that you can learn more about your neighbors, find a common interest, and be encouraged to meet a new friend at one of our events.
Meet Angie Scoby
- Angie has a Socials Degree in Liberal Arts from Kalamazoo Valley Community College and is only a few short credit hours away from receiving her BFA from Western Michigan University, with a major in Water Color with a minor in Ceramics.
- She owned a tattoo studio in Kalamazoo for nearly 10 years, and has been tattooing for over 23 years.
- Her father told her not to be an artist because, “it never pays,” but she was stubborn and followed her heart.
- She loves the idea of a “moving canvas” or “moving art” as she calls it. Angie says, “a lot of your paintings and drawings and things you do over your art career, 9 times out of 10, you will never see them again or they aren’t ever lasting”. With tattoos, it is a different story. She has often run into people she tattooed several years prior and her artwork is still intact.
- Kalamazoo is not the only place she has done tattoos. She has traveled all over the country doing skin art.
- Angie did a formal apprenticeship in Dallas, Texas to become a tattoo artist as a reward to herself for graduating from college. She is particularly talented with portrait tattoos and her incredible reputation has followed her.
- She has participated in several skin art competitions and has won 3rd place, best female full color over all, out of 600 entries.
- Being creative is a release for her.
- Angie is also creative in how she decorates her home, and the clothing she wears. She also really enjoys making art with her grandchildren.
Thank you for sharing, Angie! We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you again soon!